Info

Eilean Donan Castle Loch Duich Scotland

Eilean Donan (Scottish Gaelic for Island of Donan), is a small island in Loch Duich in the western Highlands of Scotland. It is connected to the mainland by a footbridge and lies about half a mile from the village of Dornie. Eilean Donan is named after St. Donan, a celtic saint martyred in the Dark Ages..The original castle was built in 1220 for Alexander II as a defence against the Vikings. By the late 13th century it had become a stronghold of the Mackenzies of Kintail (later the Earls of Seaforth). In 1511, the MacRaes, as protectors of the MacKenzies, became the hereditary Constables of the Castle..In 1539 Iain Dubh Matheson, chief of the Clan Matheson died whilst defending the Castle on Eilean Donan island against the Clan MacDonald of Sleat on behalf of the Clan MacRae and Clan MacKenzie..In April 1719 the castle was occupied by Spanish troops attempting to start another Jacobite Rising. The castle was recaptured, and then demolished, by three Royal Navy frigates on 1013 May 1719. The Spanish troops were defeated a month later at the Battle of Glen Shiel..The castle was restored in the years between 1919 and 1932 by Lt. Col. John MacRae-Gilstrap. The restoration included the construction of an arched bridge to give easier access to the castle. In 1983 The Conchra Charitable Trust was formed by the MacRae family to care for the Castle..It is now one of the most photographed monuments in Scotland and a popular venue for weddings and film locations. .It has appeared in such films as Highlander (1985), Loch Ness (1995) .and The World is not Enough (1999), ..Eilean Donan is the home of the Clan MacRae, ..Picture by Mark Davison/ PLPA. 22/10/07

Add to Lightbox Download
Filename
md26.jpg
Copyright
Mark Davison/ ProlensPhotoAgency/ PLPA
Image Size
3332x1800 / 1.6MB
Contained in galleries
Land and Landscape
Eilean Donan (Scottish Gaelic for Island of Donan), is a small island in Loch Duich in the western Highlands of Scotland. It is connected to the mainland by a footbridge and lies about half a mile from the village of Dornie. Eilean Donan is named after St. Donan, a celtic saint martyred in the Dark Ages..The original castle was built in 1220 for Alexander II as a defence against the Vikings. By the late 13th century it had become a stronghold of the Mackenzies of Kintail (later the Earls of Seaforth). In 1511, the MacRaes, as protectors of the MacKenzies, became the hereditary Constables of the Castle..In 1539 Iain Dubh Matheson, chief of the Clan Matheson died whilst defending the Castle on Eilean Donan island against the Clan MacDonald of Sleat on behalf of the Clan MacRae and Clan MacKenzie..In April 1719 the castle was occupied by Spanish troops attempting to start another Jacobite Rising. The castle was recaptured, and then demolished, by three Royal Navy frigates on 1013 May 1719. The Spanish troops were defeated a month later at the Battle of Glen Shiel..The castle was restored in the years between 1919 and 1932 by Lt. Col. John MacRae-Gilstrap. The restoration included the construction of an arched bridge to give easier access to the castle. In 1983 The Conchra Charitable Trust was formed by the MacRae family to care for the Castle..It is now one of the most photographed monuments in Scotland and a popular venue for weddings and film locations. .It has appeared in such films as Highlander (1985), Loch Ness (1995) .and The World is not Enough (1999), ..Eilean Donan is the home of the Clan MacRae, ..Picture by Mark Davison/ PLPA. 22/10/07